Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Horsin' Around

You would think that after sixteen years of marriage, your husband would not be able to surprise you anymore. Especially someone like Dan, who is so steady, so reliable, so dependable. But every now and then, he throws me for a loop.

For example, a couple of weeks ago when he showed me an ad in the Trader (the source of most of his surprise ideas--what an annoying publication!) for a 1 1/2 year old filly and said,

"I think we should buy her for the kids."

Hello? You're joking, right?
He wasn't.
Long story short, Mackenzie loves horses, and the lady she had been spending time with who was teaching her about horse care and riding has taken a new job and just is not around much anymore. Mackenzie was only over there a couple of times last year, and she missed being around horses terribly. Dan was recently visiting with one of his cousins here in Chrisman who also has horses, and she asked if Mackenzie was getting to do much riding. When she found out that she wasn't, she made a most generous offer. If we ever thought about getting a horse, we would be welcome to keep it at her house in their lovely pasture with her horses at a most reasonable price: free.
So, this daddy who loves his daughter so much decided that he would take the money from his service as a volunteer fireman for the year and spend it not on the gun he wanted so badly, but on this beautiful Tennesee Walking horse.
Her name is Lucy.
She is a family horse. Everyone will participate in her training to the extent their age allows. Dan's cousin has much experience in training horses, and is excited to help us work with her. Dan also has experience with horses, so we're in good shape. I personally, am clueless.
Who would have guessed that the Krabel Academy would add equestrian studies to our curriculum?


The kids were thrilled, to say the least!


Welcome to the family, Lucy!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erin,
Lucy is just gorgeous. I am so happy to see your family doing so very well. Everyone is growing so quickly, and look so happy.

I recently opened a facebook account. Do you still have my email address? If so, if you'd like to fine me, I'd love to add you as a friend.

If you can, let me hear from you. I've missed reading your blog, and am so glad that I found it again.

I pray the Lord's richest blessings on your family,

Rebecca Young