Friday, June 13, 2008

But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord...

Genesis 6:8

Alright, I'm exaggerating to compare the flooding we've had with the Great Flood, but I have found myself thankful for that covenant not to destroy the earth by flood. What a mess it has been!

I wish I had pictures of the flooding around town, but we were so busy with a funeral that day and water pouring in our house through the storm drains that I didn't get much time to go sightseeing. From what I hear, it was impressive.

My basement, with 12-18 inches of water in it on Saturday morning: :(


If you look closely, you can see my scrapbook supplies floating under the table.
That dehumidifier really isn't keeping up.

I think we're going to need a bigger shop vac.

Actually, I used that one to clean up the water we had in the basement on Wednesday before this mess. That was only two inches or so.

Saturday afternoon, I had to fish out all of the laundry in the laundry room (it was floating in the hampers) and take it to the laundromat. Four hours and many, many quarters later, all of our clothes were clean. The silver lining in this rain cloud is that it was first time I have been completely caught up on laundry in years.

For the most part, our losses are small. My good washing machine is yet to return to life. A few clothes have stains that I can't seem to get out, and a few books were ruined. Compared to what many have suffered, we got off easy.

All of our books that were in the basement had to come up. They didn't actually get wet, but we'd had standing water in the basement for over a week, and it's still pretty wet down there, so they needed to get out before they mildewed. Can you believe these are just the books we're not using right now? There's this many more at least upstairs. Dan says I need help. A twelve step program for book hoarders or something.


We have figured out that at least part of our problem is the landscaping on the east side of the house sloped back in towards the foundation, so Dad used his backhoe to pull up the bushes and we will pour concrete to seal off that wall around the house. I hated to see the bushes go, especially since we don't have much greenery around the house already, but we don't want this again.
Dan catches a ride down from the back of the grain truck we used to haul the bushes away in.


Well, doesn't that look nice?

Hopefully it helps.

No comments: