Monday, November 15, 2010

Luke 16:15

This morning I read in Luke 16:15, "What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight."
I've been thinking about that all day. What is valued among men? Wealth. Power. Beauty. Fame. Influence. Strength. Education. Intellect. Charisma. Rank. The list could go on and on.
I've often thought that God does not care about such things, but this verse tells us that these things are not just unimportant to Him, but detestable. That's a strong word. I think it is probably because the time and energy we spend pursuing them should be spent in pursuit of Him. It really makes me consider what I value, in myself and in other people. Is what I value detestable to God? Or do I value in people the things that resemble Christ? Something to think about...

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Wow, that's something to chew on!