Friday, July 4, 2008

Speaking (or writing) of smelly things...

A couple of weeks ago, my sister-in-law, who works at Eastern Illinios University, calls me and says, "I don't know if you've heard about this, but the greenhouse here has a plant called a corpse plant, and it's getting ready to bloom. When it blooms, it's supposed to smell like a decaying body. They're really rare. I don't know why, but I just thought that sounded like something you guys might like to see..."

Well, YEAH!

So two Sundays ago, we loaded up after church and went to Charleston to see the Titan Arum, better known as the "corpse plant."

We missed the full bloom, which occured through the evening on Saturday. From what I understand, it was pretty stinky. People reported smelling it blocks away. On Sunday, you could still smell it, but it was much milder. The scent was like hamburger that has gone really bad.




The greenhouse had an impressive collection of plants other than the Titan Arum, although it was clearly the focus of the day. Mackenzie was fascinated by the Venus Flytraps and Pitcher Plants. She wants one of her own to grow.

Feed me, Seymore!



No comments: