Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving dinner

For the third year in a row, I hosted Thanksgiving dinner for my father's side of my family. It was a short crowd for us this year--about thirty people. If we all attend, there can be as many as fifty! We have plenty of room, though, because we use the funeral chapel downstairs. Some might think it odd to serve a holiday dinner in a funeral home, but hey, it's where I live.


Check out this bird!


My grandma's homemade noodles. They are a holiday tradition and a highlight of our family dinners. They are quite simply, the best noodles ever served anywhere in the universe. No competition.


So much food! In addition to the turkey and noodles, we also had a ham, fifteen pounds worth of mashed potatoes, rolls, sweet potatoes, green beans, corn casserole, White Castle stuffing (made from the hamburgers, I think. I didn't try it), spinach balls and an array of salads, dips and desserts. Yum, yum and yum.

It is a lot of work to host such a big gathering, but I love every minute of it. I feel so blessed to have such a big loving family who truly enjoy each other. I love the memories and traditions we have created together. I even love the sound of a hoard of cousins running through my house. I am so thankful to God for all He has given me--for my family, my home, my health, and most of all, for my Savior.


I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High. Psalm 7:17

No comments: