Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Birthdays, Birthdays, Birthdays, volume 1

Mackenzie turned twelve in February.


Here she is opening a present from her siblings before enjoying her birthday breakfast: Belgian waffles. It is a tradition in our family that the birthday person gets to decide what we eat for each meal. She picked waffles for breakfast and wanted to go to the Chinese Buffet for supper.


Her birthday lunch was a the week before, when she and I had a shopping day, just the two of us, and ate lunch at Cheeseburger in Paradise. Strawberry lemonade. Onion straws. Sweet potato fries. Yum.

After breakfast, she came out dressed in her formal and tiara, ready to be the birthday princess.


The Sunday after her birthday, we celebrated with family and friends.


Mackenzie, Aunt Penny and Aunt Mandy all share birthdays the same week.

Just before her birthday, Mackenzie told me she wished she was turning 13 instead of 12. I, on the other hand, think she is growing up entirely too fast.
Mackenzie is the firecracker in our family. She brings fun and excitement to whatever we do. Whenever there is noise in our house, Mackenzie can usually be found in the middle of it. She is the favorite playmate of her younger sisters. Even Elijah, whom she often squabbles with, was heard to say recently on a Saturday that he was bored because "Mackenzie's not here and there's no one for me to play with."

But at the same time, she is very gentle, thoughtful and reflective. She often leaves me sweet notes around the house saying "thank you" or "I love you." She loves to visit the nursing home. She is generous and sincerely concerned about those in need.




She has the heart of an adventurer. The fearless toddler who scared me to death has grown into a fearless young woman who is ready to try anything (and still sometimes scares me to death). Mackenzie looks at any challenge with an attitude of "I can do that" and she is almost always right.

She is passionate about the things she loves: God, her family, her friends, her horse, Lucy.


Mackenzie, I am thankful for every day of the twelve years God has blessed me with being your mom. I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good grief! Here I go again! I was reading right along and agreeing, "yes, yes", with everything you had written and then I read the last line (with THAT music playing) and the huge lump in my throat came right out of nowhere! Where have the years gone? What a beauty and a blessing! Love, Mom